Wednesday 14 December 2011

Visually presenting Music

As a group, we were asked to listen to piece of music that we wouldn't normally listen to. Our task was to visually communicate our thoughts, feelings and ideas on how the chosen song made us feel and how it could look visually. I decided to choose Slipknots - Psychosocial. The video below is the song I have chosen. Please feel free to have a listen to give yourself a clearer idea on how my outcome could look.


After listening to the song, a variety of different thoughts cropped into my head on how this song and video makes me feel and how it could look visually. They are as follows:

  • Angry
  • Despressed
  • Arghhhh!
  • Black
  • Tiger
  • Red
  • Blood
  • Snake
  • Mosh - Excitable
  • Fighting
  • Shark
  • Scratches - Cuts
  • Rotweiler
  • Gun
  • Jagged shapes
When researching for possible ideas to create my design. I came across and image of Andy Warhol's gun. This then gave me some inspiration to produce my own image in the style of this. 


I took a photo of myself pulling an angry face to represent the angry and 'arghhhh' side of the song. Using several layers and threshold options on Photoshop, I arrived at this design. The colour I have used for the design also gives the impression of either blood - fighting and anger.


This is the mindmap I have produced using images, materials and paints to express the above the list. Rummaging through the house, I managed to locate a variety of different materials with a rough surface, these include: a dead leaf and an old hessian bag. I also decided to splat areas of the page in red and black paint to give ti idea of anger and blood splattering across the page

1 comment:

  1. this is very cool!
    i love your blog! you have great taste :)
    could you please check mine out? would be an honour?
    it's Its fashion damnit
    thanks love! keep up the good work!
    lottie
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete